7 IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN SELECTING A CERAMIC YACHT COATING COMPANY
With Ceramic Coatings firmly embedded in the superyacht sector, interested parties within the industry are calling for higher standards and regulations from ceramic coating companies. Paint applicators, paint manufacturers, yacht surveyors, and shipyards are requesting that captains, management companies and owners’ representatives carry out more due diligence when selecting a company to apply ceramic coatings to a vessel.
CeraShield has designed a contractor's checklist for use by captains, crew, and yacht managers, to ensure that the service you choose meets all the necessary requirements.
Terms and conditions contain important information. To avoid any uncertainty during the execution of the project and any warranty issues that may follow, it is vital that any company quoting provide up-to-date terms and conditions.
• What is included in the contract?
• What is excluded?
• What circumstances could/would void the warranty?
• What is the service provider's warranty policy?
• How is additional work outside of the original scope of work charged for?
Often companies with extended warranties will have clauses regarding the gloss of the coating. Down gloss should average 10 GU (Gloss Units) a year.
The most common question asked about ceramic coatings and surprisingly the question that no one researches enough is, “can ceramic coatings be removed?” Simply having a company say they can remove their coating is not enough. The paint applicators and paint surveyors need to answer this question for you before you agree on a company.
• What laboratory testing has been carried out to prove their coating can be removed
before a paint job?
• Does the company have testimonials from vessels who have applied ceramic and
removed it prior to repainting?
• Can the ceramic company demonstrate evidence of a recent and successful experience
of removal before a paint job?
• Actively follow up on removal references provided.
• Seek advice from experienced paint applicators and paint surveyors.
As the ceramic coating industry evolves, much like the paint application sector, quality international standards are a significant process in the project.
• How does the chosen service provider manage their quality-of-service delivery?
• What recognised standards does the company adhere to, for example, ISO or ICOMIA?
• How do they assess their quality control?
• Do they use calibrated gloss readers to measure before and after gloss readings?
• Will the company provide quality control documentation and a final report?
• What environmental systems do they have in place?
• What is their health and safety policy?
Check the company has valid, in-date liability insurance and that all the workers are legally employed and covered under the company´s insurance.
• Request a copy of the Insurance policy?
• Valid global coverage insurance
• Valid work contracts
To establish credibility and trust it is important for the ceramic coating company to provide references, up-to-date testimonials and case studies of similar projects, to verify their experience.
• Ask the company for case studies showing a project being undertaken.
• Request references of vessels they have coated recently and contact the crew directly.
• What refit/commercial yards do the company work with?
• What is the longevity of the client's relationship with the company?
• Does the company have any endorsements from paint applicators and paint surveyors?
There is a wide choice of ceramic coating companies offering different products. It is important to enquire what product testing has been carried out, in a laboratory, using weathering chambers that simulate the superyacht environment.
• Has your chosen supplier carried out weathering testing to demonstrate longevity?
• What compounds are they using for preparation?
• Are the compounds being used water or oil-based, instead of alcohol-based?
• Request Technical Data Sheets (TDS) to be kept on file.
• Do you know if the products used are substitute ceramic coatings for cars or
specifically designed and tested for yachts?
It is the obligation of the business selected to account for its actions. With an experienced, knowledgeable, and professional team, the project is more likely to be delivered effectively on time, and in line with expectations.
Based in Palma de Mallorca, CeraShield specialises in providing removable long lasting ceramic coatings for yachts in Palma and Worldwide. Our professional team of applicators have over 10 years’ experience in the application and removal of ceramic coatings to Superyachts.
CeraShield Ceramic Coatings
Edificio Global – Office 11
07012, Palma de Mallorca
Co-founder & Production Director
Tel +34 620 393 033
Tel +34 687 955 116
CeraShield has become the only certified ceramic coating company in our industry.